If your home makes any use of natural gas—such as for a furnace, boiler, stove, oven, etc.—it is very important that you also have carbon monoxide detectors installed. This will help protect you and your family from potentially hazardous gas leaks.
Modern gas-powered appliances are designed with safety as a priority, so you shouldn’t feel as if it is a bad investment to use natural gas in your house. In fact, natural gas is a cost-effective way of providing residential heating for comfort and cooking, and is more beneficial for the environment than other types of heating oils. Nonetheless, you should take additional precautions to reduce any possible negative effects from natural gas.
What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that is byproduct of the incomplete combustion of natural gas. CO is also highly toxic, and even small amounts will create nausea and dizziness in people who breathe it.
Appliances that burn natural gas vent the combustion exhaust safely out of a home as long as they are working correctly. But if CO starts to enter a home, it is almost impossible to detect until it causes health side effects. A carbon monoxide detector will pick up on dangerous CO levels before they can harm people in your household, giving everyone time to vacate the home and call for help.
You should contact professional electricians to set up CO detectors for your home. Skilled installation will give you the assurance that the detectors will work as they are supposed to and that your home and family are protected. The installers will show you how the new devices work, how to test them, and when to change their batteries on a regular schedule.
To arrange for carbon monoxide detector installation in Los Angeles, CA or the surrounding areas, call Kilowatt Heating, Air Conditioning and Electrical today.