Everybody likes finding ways to save money. But during the hot summers in Southern California, plenty of homeowners imagine that there’s really no good way to save money when it comes to air conditioning. Aside from simply feeling miserable by keeping the AC turned off for long stretches, it doesn’t seem there are many alternatives for staying cool.
But there are actually many ways that you can save money on your air conditioning over the summer. Aside from simple tricks such as placing wet sheets over open windows, there are some jobs you can have HVAC professionals do that will help immensely when it comes to saving energy.
- Install a heat or energy recovery ventilator: These devices bring in fresh air to your home, but pre-heat or pre-cool it (depending on the weather) so that it won’t put as much stress on the HVAC system. During the summer, you can enjoy a fresh breeze without making your air conditioner work harder.
- Improve insulation: Insulation isn’t only for cold weather. The right levels of insulation in your home will prevent excess heat from coming indoors, and you’ll need to rely on your air conditioning far less.
- Replace an older air conditioner: How long have you had your current AC? More than 15 years? If so, then you’re probably paying more to run it than you once did because it’s starting to decline. Putting in a new system, one with higher energy efficiency, will make a huge difference on your bills. This is one of the best long-term money saving techniques.
- Attic fans: If your home has an attic, putting in these exhaust fans in will remove a massive gathering area for heat that will otherwise seep down into your living areas and raise the temperature.
- Ceiling fans: A ceiling fan creates a breeze through a room that helps people feel cooler—often enough that you can give the air conditioner an extended break.
Kilowatt Heating, Air Conditioning and Electrical provides all of the above products and services—and more. Call us today for service in Valley Village, CA.