DWP Customers who install attic insulation can see energy reduction and savings of $200 to $374 in a year, depending upon the size of the home and its location.
Installing attic insulation might seem daunting and expensive, but the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) can help pay for insulating your attic. Qualifying customers can receive rebates up to 80% of the total insulation installation costs or $1.00 per square foot of attic floor insulation (whichever is less).
Insulation materials are defined as material/product used to slow down heat flow, which is measured in terms of thermal resistance or R-Value. Qualified attic insulation types include blanket (batts and rolls), loose-fill, blown-in, attic-applied rigid foam, sprayed foam, and foamed-in-place insulation systems.
Installed insulation materials must achieve a minimum thermal resistance of R-30 (or R-19 if less than 24 inches of attic clearance is available and R-30 cannot be achieved) to qualify for the program.
Installation costs are defined as the cost of the insulation materials plus the labor associated with the installation of insulation materials, including labor undertaken to comply with codes and regulations, such as sealing attic air leaks, weather-stripping attic hatch or door, attic ventilation modifications, and installation of rafter vent/insulation baffles. Complete attic insulation coverage is required above all air conditioned spaces. New construction or non-living building, such as a detached garage, do not qualify for the insulation rebate.
Customers interested in the program should:
- Decide on hiring a licensed contractor or installing the insulation materials themselves; LADWP strongly recommends working with a licensed contractor.
- Take pictures of the attic BEFORE installation to submit with application package.
- Install insulation materials in accordance with the program requirements.
- Take pictures of the attic AFTER installation.
- Submit Consumer Rebate Program (CRP) application by mail to LADWP with required documentation.
If you are interested in attic insulation call Kilowatt now to schedule a FREE estimate 818-780-0701. The rebate money is given out on a first come first served basis.